The comments-section polls are back on random rotation for a while. A couple of them have been retired because the answers were time-sensitive — and here are the results.
I’d been planning for a while now that the team’s new mage would be Tamaputian, because it’s been too long since I’ve had a regular excuse to draw Tamaputians. But this is the reason why Atarangi is a fire mage:
- Fire 36%, 38 votes38 votes 36%38 votes - 36% of all votes
- Nature 29%, 30 votes30 votes 29%30 votes - 29% of all votes
- Water 21%, 22 votes22 votes 21%22 votes - 21% of all votes
- Stars (again) 14%, 15 votes15 votes 14%15 votes - 14% of all votes
And since the Kickstarter for Leif & Thorn Volume 2 ends in just over two weeks, let’s talk about which bonus features made it in!
- Guide to heartsword types 21%, 72 votes72 votes 21%72 votes - 21% of all votes
- Guide to countries/languages 19%, 63 votes63 votes 19%63 votes - 19% of all votes
- Character profiles 15%, 50 votes50 votes 15%50 votes - 15% of all votes
- Themed recipes* 11%, 38 votes38 votes 11%38 votes - 11% of all votes
- Exclusive Q&A comics 10%, 35 votes35 votes 10%35 votes - 10% of all votes
- Bonus art by the creator 10%, 33 votes33 votes 10%33 votes - 10% of all votes
- Filksong* 4%, 14 votes14 votes 4%14 votes - 4% of all votes
- Bonus art by guest artists 4%, 14 votes14 votes 4%14 votes - 4% of all votes
- Puzzles, riddles, mazes, and activities* 3%, 11 votes11 votes 3%11 votes - 3% of all votes
- Coloring pages* 2%, 8 votes8 votes 2%8 votes - 2% of all votes
In order of popularity:
- Guide to heartsword types — done! It uses the art from the heartsword wallpapers used in 2018 Patreon rewards.
- Guide to countries/languages — done! I even made some new flags — get a sneak preview on the “countries” Crystalpedia entry.
- Character profiles – done! Let’s be honest, this one was never in doubt. I didn’t know which storylines would open Volume 2 when I was drawing them, so there’s no special effort to re-introduce anyone.
- Themed recipes – not in this volume. Partly for lack of space, partly because I didn’t have any bright ideas. (It’s not like there’s much that gets cooked in Volume 2.) Might bring it up again, and ask readers what specific recipes they want to see…
- Exclusive Q&A comics – not in this volume, entirely for lack of space. Will definitely be offered again.
- Bonus art by the creator – well, I already promised this as a reward for Kickstarter backers, so it’s on the to-do list. Besides, it’s the best way to fill the smaller blank spaces on certain pages.
- Bonus art by guest artists – heh, this wasn’t even half as popular. Not in this volume.
- Filksong – not in Volume 2, but almost definitely going to be arranged for Volume 3, which is The One With The Musical.
- Puzzles, riddles, mazes, and activities / Coloring pages (I’m putting these in one broad “back-of-the-placemat activities” category) – not in this volume, and I don’t know if I ever want to put them in books, but “printing them on regular paper and tucking them into the reward shipments” is a definite possibility. Did a test run on making a maze — let me know what you think.
Speaking of “things that get tucked into the book,” I’m getting ready to do a poll for the mini-print that’ll ship with the Volume 2 Kickstarter.
There are a few illustrations I already know I’ll offer…but do readers have any requests? Almost anything in the Saturday Sketchbook category is eligible! (If it’s not in a nice 5×7 rectangular format already, I can almost certainly tinker with it to get a version that works.)