After some serious code finagling, Crystalpedia is functional again!
In some ways it’s more functional than before. I decided to roll up my sleeves and edit the main template PHP — I’d been nervous about touching it, so I kept relying on plugins that splice in bits of code you have to upload in separate little files. Pretty sure an outdated plugin was part of why the site broke in the first place.Continue reading The Leif & Thorn wiki is back up, and sparklier than ever
Check out the lineup of packages that went in the mail this morning:
I piled them up according to the backers’ requested mini-prints. Hmm, wonder if there’s a trend.
The latest Kickstarter update has more details!
The print copies of Leif & Thorn Volume 2 have arrived!
(Seen here under the glow of my new rose-tree lamp. Turns out that’s a thing, so obviously I had to have one.)
The post on the Kickstarter campaign has more info for all the backers who preordered Volume 2 then.
If you missed it, now is finally your chance to order Volume 2 via Gumroad (those books will be shipped once all the Kickstarter rewards are fulfilled), or get the Volume 2 ebook (those are instantly available to download!).
For that last one, you might want to join the mailing list first — I’m gonna be sending them a coupon.
Just closed a bunch of the polls that have done their time below the Leif & Thorn comment sections. For posterity, here are the answers.
The poll about readers’ preferences for the Kolpovision-party storyline. Will any of you get your narrative wishes? Time will tell…
- MAGICAL BRAM and his ADORABLE CHILDREN 26%, 35 votes35 votes 26%35 votes - 26% of all votes
- Future Thorn, pretending he's cosplaying 20%, 27 votes27 votes 20%27 votes - 20% of all votes
- President Romarin, having ditched her security detail 17%, 23 votes23 votes 17%23 votes - 17% of all votes
- All of the above? I honestly can't pick just one.* 8%, 11 votes11 votes 8%11 votes - 8% of all votes
- Geirölul Lilblomma, trying to explore Ceannic culture.* 7%, 9 votes9 votes 7%9 votes - 7% of all votes
- Holly and Cedar, for a magical intermission 7%, 9 votes9 votes 7%9 votes - 7% of all votes
- Agent Delphinium and the Woman in Black on a secret mission 5%, 7 votes7 votes 5%7 votes - 5% of all votes
- Kudzu's dog* 4%, 6 votes6 votes 4%6 votes - 4% of all votes
- Holly, Cedar and Ivy, due to a misreading of the situation.* 3%, 4 votes4 votes 3%4 votes - 3% of all votes
- President Romarin with her full security detail 3%, 4 votes4 votes 3%4 votes - 3% of all votes
It’s finally time to reveal why I’ve been breaking the Leif & Thorn layout all weekend!
I’ve been pulling the CSS for colors and images into a separate stylesheet from the rest of the CSS (i.e. the fonts, the arrangement of sections, the padding…so much padding), so I could have multiple color/image themes and give everyone the option to toggle between them.
Starting with a seasonal Northern Lights theme. (And only halfway through December!)
Settling on the palette was the easy part. (And the fun part.) The hard parts were:
- divvying up the properties correctly between the “Inkblot child theme” stylesheet and the color-scheme stylesheets, so nothing got duplicated, or accidentally dropped
- updating a whole bunch of non-transparent images that only worked on a theme with a white background
- combing through error-spawning code for the missing period/semicolon/curly-brace
- learning how to keep stylesheets from getting flagged as “insecure content”
- realizing the After Dark pages were going to try to load the default color-scheme stylesheet, so I needed a style that wouldn’t override it
- realizing that, while keeping the default scheme from overriding the After Dark scheme, I had prevented it on loading from a bunch of other pages at all
- giving the Firefox Code Inspector a workout
- giving the W3C’s exhaustive guide to CSS properties a workout
- giving Notepad++’s side-by-side document view a workout
- truly appreciating the WordPress Header and Footer and Real-Time Find and Replace plugins
- testing how it looks when you move an element 5 pixels to the left…then putting it back…then trying it 5 pixels to the right…
- sitting back and waiting for the server-side cache to update so I could finally see if the live results matched the previews
…and now, finally, it’s in a state where I feel ready to show it off.
There’s a couple of new buttons in the left-hand sidebar that will let you switch between Northern Lights and the original theme, Blue Castle. Check them out.
The buttons are supposed to set a cookie in your browser that remembers your chosen theme when you visit different pages…but I can’t seem to get that part working. If anybody can take a look at the source code and figure out what’s missing, it would be much appreciated!
And in general, if you run into any new problems while browsing the site, comment here and let me know. Gotta tackle them while my debugging mojo is still flowing.
The proof copy of Volume 2 has arrived!
To keep creator expenses down, Whitlock sends these unbound, so what I got in the mail was a big stack of loose pages and an un-cropped cover. Check them out:
All this is well ahead of schedule — last year’s Volume 1 proof came on December 15.
As usual, I’m going to take a couple days and look through it, make sure everything came out okay. It’s hard to tell in this photo, but the cover printed a little dark — I’ll probably adjust the values and send the printer a new source file.
And then we go to press!
With two weeks left in the Volume 2 Kickstarter, it’s time for a poll!
Every paperback Leif & Thorn book includes a campaign-exclusive postcard print, right? But I don’t have a top favorite “gotta print this one!” illustration. So I’m leaving the choice to you.
Don’t worry about the size of the images here — they’re all high-res enough for these prints, and I can tinker with them if necessary to make the dimensions fit. Just follow your heart.
Here are the options:
And here’s the poll! You can vote for up to 2 choices:
- Glamorous Agents 26%, 23 votes23 votes 26%23 votes - 26% of all votes
- GothPrideProblems 24%, 21 vote21 vote 24%21 vote - 24% of all votes
- Stripes and Blades 16%, 14 votes14 votes 16%14 votes - 16% of all votes
- Plant Anniversary 14%, 12 votes12 votes 14%12 votes - 14% of all votes
- Gone Floating 10%, 9 votes9 votes 10%9 votes - 10% of all votes
- Garden Parry 9%, 8 votes8 votes 9%8 votes - 9% of all votes