Update, Tuesday (3/2) just after midnight: Okay, now I’m just playing with zooms. There’s a new row of buttons above every comic — toggle between sizes (only affects the mobile layout) and let me know what you think.
Also, open the main stylesheet CSS and refresh, to make sure you have the latest version of that! (It’s the “everything but the color scheme” CSS, and cached versions may be glitchy.)
Note: all the variants are in the Northern Lights theme, because “color scheme + page size pick-your-own combo platter” is too much to code for a first-run test. Switching to a different site theme will return you to the current default zoom.
Update, Sunday (2/28) early morning: Mobile layout is un-crashed, and configured with a new “automatically zoomed-out to 80%” feature!
Too small? Not small enough? Drop a comment. (I’ll make a new poll for this, too…at some point.)
Update, Saturday (2/27) afternoon: Tried to make a minor fix, seems like it crashed mobile altogether. Bear with us.
(For techy readers: Multiple browsers are flat-out ignoring all the styles under the “max-width: 640px” media query in the main layout CSS. Styles for the same media query in other sheets, like the Northern Lights theme CSS, are being loaded just fine. If you can spot what the difference is…please let me know.)
Also, the web host pushed a new caching “upgrade” the other day, which means the latest version of the sight may not always load. If you leave a comment and it doesn’t show up, or you visit the front page and it doesn’t have today’s strip, please report it here!
Update, Sunday (2/21) afternoon: Pushed a new version with a maximum width set on the desktop layout, and a “no cropping the comic with a horizontal scrollbar” set on the mobile layout. (Might take some time for the last update to cycle through the cache, so if you don’t see it yet, just wait.)
After a round of “we like indexing sites that adapt to multiple device sizes” prodding from Google, I did some tweaking to make the Leif & Thorn layout more responsive.
Out with the fixed-width central column! In with the fluid self-adjusting divs. Long may they reign.
Also: there was already a mobile layout, but now your phone should actually load the mobile layout.
Which…may or may not actually be better for users, no matter what Google’s automated guidelines say.
So how’s it working for you? If specific features are giving people trouble, it’s pretty easy to finesse them into something more functional.
Comment on this post and/or vote in the poll to give feedback:
- N/A, I don't use mobile at all 40%, 36 votes36 votes 40%36 votes - 40% of all votes
- It’s harder to use, it defaults “zoomed-in” and I have to scroll, but it won’t actually let me zoom out—I’d rather use the desktop site* 13%, 12 votes12 votes 13%12 votes - 13% of all votes
- It's harder to use, it defaults "zoomed-in" for me on mobile. I have to scroll over to see the right half of the script* 11%, 10 votes10 votes 11%10 votes - 11% of all votes
- It's harder to use, I'd rather have the desktop site and just pinch-to-zoom a lot 8%, 7 votes7 votes 8%7 votes - 8% of all votes
- It's easier to use, I'm sticking with it 7%, 6 votes6 votes 7%6 votes - 7% of all votes
- Wait, you guys weren't seeing the mobile layout before? 7%, 6 votes6 votes 7%6 votes - 7% of all votes
- I like how mobile is showing up more than pinch-zoom, but I wish I was getting a scrollbar on the comic* 4%, 4 votes4 votes 4%4 votes - 4% of all votes
- Not sure yet because it's new, but I'll try getting used to it 3%, 3 votes3 votes 3%3 votes - 3% of all votes
- Wait, there was a change? (I am i* 3%, 3 votes3 votes 3%3 votes - 3% of all votes
- It's not actually harder to use...but I don't like change 🙁 2%, 2 votes2 votes 2%2 votes - 2% of all votes
And yes, I did decide to upend the Leif & Thorn layout on the exact same weekend as I launched the But I’m A Cat Person: Master’s Edition Kickstarter.
Because I’m a sucker for punishment, apparently.
(No, seriously, the campaign is off to a great start. While I finish shipping the latest round of Leif & Thorn paperbacks, don’t miss your chance to pick up Even More Books.)